The Glengoyne distillery has been producing exceptional single malt scotch whisky for nearly 200 years. Soft, sweet 10 year old single malt. Winner of a Gold Medal at the San Francisco World Spirits Competition.
Glengoyne Distillery is a whisky distillery continuously in operation since its founding in 1833 at Dumgoyne, north of Glasgow. Glengoyne is unique in producing Highland single malt whisky matured in the Lowlands. Located upon the Highland Line, the division between the Highlands and Lowlands of Scotland, Glengoynes stills are in the Highlands while maturing casks of whisky rest across the road in the Lowlands.
In the early 19th century, due to the heavy taxes on spirit production imposed by the government, many whisky producers were forced to operate illegally. The area around Glengoyne was full of hills and forests which provided excellent cover for the distillers. Records show that at least eighteen illicit whisky stills were operating in the area. In the 1820s an Act of Parliament was passed, which reduced the cost of the licence required to distil and the duty payable on spirit sales. Shortly after the introduction of the 'Excise Act of 1823' (or 'Walsh Act') the first of these illicit stills came into official existence, with Glengoyne following later in 1833. Although Glengoyne only officially existed from 1833 and no records exist from before this date, it is believed that distilling on the site pre-dates that with a local historian writing that the smoke of "illicit stills" was visible in the area in the early 19th century.
The legal distillery began distilling in 1833 and was known as the Burnfoot Distillery. It was originally owned by George Connell who built the distillery and took out a lease on the surrounding land on which was built a warehouse which is still in use today. In 1876 the distillery was sold to the Lang Brothers who were based in Glasgow. It is stated that the Langs intended to name the distillery Glengoyne, but due to a mistake by a clerk it was recorded as Glen Guin. In either 1894 or 1905 (depending on which report you believe) it was changed to Glengoyne which comes from "Glenguin" or "Glen of the Wild Geese".